Thursday, November 13, 2014

5. Man simply and merely must be a poor sinner as he ignores God and knows Him not; he is to love Him and God is to be his treasure and yet he is dead to Him.

Man simply and merely must be a poor sinner as he ignores God and knows Him not; he is to love Him and God is to be his treasure and yet he is dead to Him. And all this in fact shall make him into a poor sinner, for it is said: Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Man is to become a poor sinner just because of original sin. Therefore he should pray ceaselessly that God will give Himself unto him and reveal Himself unto him and take up His abode in him and regenerate him. [he should pray unceasingly, however he cannot focus to the end of the Lord's Prayer!] If God does not first show Himself to man, and come to him, man cannot love Him.

As far as the outer evil life is concerned, man dares not pray; all he can do is to live devoutly and this he can do if he but will. But if I am to love God and if I know Him not it si necessary that I first pray that He make Himself known unto me so that I may come to love Him. [this was not Baumann's case. He was overwhelmed by something he did not seek. Religious literature is filled with the travail of those who have sought God, Charles Finney's agonies come to mind, but that is not the instance of irresistible grace that happened to Baumann] If someone were to write me that I should love him, and if I had never in my whole life seen him, I would know nothing more bvasic than to reply that he should first come to see me so that i could get toknow him, otherwise it would be impossible to love him. Although I see other persons around and cannot approach those whom I do not know, how much less will I be able to love God, because died unto Him and I am Adam's child?

With the body we cannot sin before God, only before people and other creatures; [quoted in Chronicon as the proof of Baumann's error] this the judge can correct. Adam did not do evil with the body; he performed spiritual sin; he died to God. And Christ announced a spiritual righteousness and warned us against spiritual sin. We have to hold as sin the spiritual sin we have inherited.

Men say: Christ has taken sin away. This is true as far as I am concerned. He who finds himself so is as Adam was before the fall; as I am. Christ took no sins away but God spoke through Him in no other way than He speaks through me. If Christ had taken sins away He would not have said: strive to get through the narrow door, for I tell you, many will try to get in and not be able. Here you hear that He has not taken sin away but just announced what we have to do to gain the new birth. if He had taken sin away it would not be necessary for us to strive to become blessed. [This is obviously confused as he contradicts what he says above. It is important to verify the translation.]

No comments:

Post a Comment