Thursday, November 13, 2014

1. I was seized by a shuddering or shivering

I, Matthies Baumann, now in America, was a poor day-laborer and helper in Lambsheim in Palatinate, in Europe. In June of 1701 I was seized by a shuddering or shivering like that of a man who has succumbed to a heavy sickness, and I gave myself over to God, and I was quit of the world so that I said to God that I would gladly die.

As I lay on the bed I no longer knew anything of myself and I was as one who would have passed on gladly, although then I knew nothing of this, as my wife tells me. On the fifth day I was beyond myself and I was drawn into heaven and I had word from God that I was to tell men that they should be converted for the last day was coming. And then I extended one call after another for a whole hour:

O ye children of men, be converted! The last day is at hand!
And my wife says that she thought that I was delirious. And when I stopped calling out I was soon beyond myself again for I heard Him say to me again:

Man thinks that he lives by the light of day, but he is turned about in night!
Then I asked, How are they to live? I was told, According to the New Testament. And this lasted for one day or fourteen, and the last time I was beyond myself it lasted for twenty-four hours and my wife says that she often thought that I was dead, that she did not know if there was any breath left in me. And she says further that I lay there for twenty-four hours moving neither hands nor feet, ever lying as if dead so that she was expecting the end momently and was waiting to put the shroud on me. Then however I came back to my body again and I was as sound without as within.

And I had a command from God to tell men to be converted. So I sent for the Reformed pastor (for at that time I bore the name Reformed) to come and tell me what it was that God had commanded me. But the pastor did not wish to come, saying that he was not feeling well. Then I remained in bed, but not for long. Matters were so good with me now as they never had been before all my life, and at this time God's goodness came over me, which has never changed since then, and I marveled what God had done for a miserable man like me. I entered the sickness an old man; I arose a new one. [The first one he sent for to tell to be converted was the Reformed pastor.]

No comments:

Post a Comment